Bogota, Colombia has one highly efficiency and urban mass rapid transit systems, at very low costs.
Read more about how this city of about 8 million people (comparable to New York city USA)
- Buses have a dedicated lane through the major roadways in the city (usually placed in the center/median of the roadway with access ramps and overpasses to connect pedestrians to the median). "troncal" is the term.
- Bus stations have platforms that line up with the bus threshold for easy access to all passengers including those on wheelchairs.
- Up to 1400 main buses (long buses - people pay a fare with card) and over 400 feeder buses (that run free) that connect to the main lines.
- Will add financial info soon, so far all the budget data we looked at are in spanish so we are working on translations.
One other cool thing to note (in a traditionally male dominated field like transportation engineering: their current CEO is a female.
- Street Films Vlog on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/StreetfilmsVlog
- Transmilenio Authority http://transmilenio.gov.co/
- Transmilenio's Youtube channel: https://youtube.com/user/OFICIALTRANSMILENIO
- Transmilenio on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TransMilenio